Tooth Extractions in Oklahoma City
Going Above & Beyond to Ensure You Receive the Best Dental Care
Discovering you need a tooth removed can be very unsettling. It may cause you to worry about several things, including the cost of the procedure, whether or not it will be painful, and how losing a tooth will affect your smile.
Sorgen Dentistry is here to help calm your nerves by helping you understand what to expect during a tooth extraction in Oklahoma City. It is normal to feel fear, but rest assured that the process is relatively simple and very routine.
Common Reasons for Tooth Extractions
If you have to have a tooth removed, your first question is probably, “Why?” You might be wondering if it has something to do with how you have been taking care of your teeth. Actually, many of the reasons we recommend and perform tooth extractions has nothing to do with your care for your teeth.
We have extensive experience extracting:
- Teeth that are severely decayed
- Teeth that have advanced periodontal disease
- Teeth that have irreparable damage
- Teeth that are poorly positioned
- Teeth that need to be removed for orthodontic treatment
What to Expect with Your Tooth Extraction Procedure
When the dentist tells you that you need to have a tooth extracted, the most challenging part of the process for you is not knowing what to expect. So, we want to help you understand what will take place.
In most cases, tooth extractions go as such:
- First, we will apply a local anesthetic in your mouth to numb the tooth, jawbone, and gums. If you require something to ease your feelings of anxiousness during the procedure, we also offer nitrous oxide sedation. This safe sedation method causes a calming effect and allows you to remain completely aware of what is going on.
- Next, during the actual extraction process, we will need to widen the socket by firmly rocking the tooth. This will cause you to feel some pressure—but no pain. If you end up feeling pain at any point throughout the process, simply let us know, and we will remedy the problem.
- Some teeth that are either firmly rooted in the socket or have a curved root will require a common procedure referred to as “sectioning.” Our dentist will cut your tooth into multiple sections so that the tooth can be removed in pieces.
- Following the tooth extraction, you will need to bite down on a gauze pad for 30 to 45 minutes to help a blood clot form. This will stop the bleeding and begin the healing process. Some patients need to repeat the process of biting on a gauze pad a few times before the flow of blood ceases. We will also provide you with pain medication to help you recover from the extraction.
Contact Sorgen Dentistry Today
Tooth extraction is a safe and standard procedure that many people go through every day. Dr. Sorgen has extensive experience conducting tooth extractions, as well as dental implant restorations after an extraction is complete. We can happily answer any questions you may have and walk you through all of your treatment options.
“The setting is lovely and comfortable.”- Toni K.
“So glad I found Dr. Sorgen when I moved to Oklahoma City!”- DJ
“Superior service, dentistry skills, and compassion”- Rosemary G.
“Dr. Sorgen and his staff are amazing.”- Austin P.
Care That Counts
Preventative and restorative procedures that improve your oral health, while also offering cosmetic dentistry.
Education Is Key
We take pride in educating our patients on maintaining optimal oral health and achieving their cosmetic goals.
Cutting Edge Dentistry
Complete range of dental services, state-of-the-art equipment, and exceptional patient care.
High-quality dental care for adults in a warm, welcoming environment and comfortable office setting.